Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Waiting for normal

Somehow, I keep waiting for life to get normal again, and by normal I mean for things to make sense, be coherent, have an organized structure that isn't misshapen or grotesque.

What I keep getting is life that is completely out of balance, out of harmony, incoherent, disorganized, fractured, and so full of one crisis after another I wonder how anyone manages any sanity whatsoever.

It didn't used to be this way, and NO, I am not being nostalgic. There used to be a genuine order in life. There was a lot less fear and a lot less stress. People had jobs they could retire from and actually receive retirement income from it. Kids grew up, some went to college, others went to work, and most had families of their own. Television showed more of the best in life instead of the worst, especially in terms of human relations and how to get along with each other. And though most of it was idealized, at least it was something to aspire to rather than descend into.

Life wasn't about greed, naked aggression, power-mongering, back-biting pettiness, or expecting to live like royalty. People were more friendly, cooperative, accepting, and forgiving. Their aims were modest as were their desires. Didn't mean things should not be well-built--even economy models were built to last and work well.

These things and more are all but gone. The world is tilted and very little is as it should be. I guess I won't hold my breath waiting for normal to occur anytime soon.

In the meantime, I'll just keep working on my garden. At least it makes sense. You plant, it grows, it fruits, you eat.