Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Heath Ledger - Rest in Peace

I like good talent when I see it. Heath Ledger is a real loss. A really good match up would have been Heath and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Oh, and I don't buy it for a second it's a drug overdose.

[Update] NY Times article that gets at what I feel about the loss of Heath Ledger and the enormous talent he possessed.

When I first saw him in "10 Things I Hate About You" (on HBO) I kept having the impression I'd seen him before. However, a search of IMDB came up with nothing I would have seen him in. So I was left with a lasting impression of someone to keep an eye on in future films. His role in "Brokeback Mountain" proved the depth of his talent with a promise of much more to come.

This isn't about some cute guy or being a fanatic about movie stars. This is about a real appreciation of a very rare talent. That movies and acting has become a titillating giggle-fest for both guys and girls or a shocking horror-fest for the emotionally/experientially depraved should not be confused with the true art of thespianism and playwriting going all the way to the Greek Tragedies--in the modern era we can include cinematography in this.

The truest and purest of the art form is how well it opens the soul to the greater mysteries of existence and enables empathetic communion with others. Heath Ledger had such talent and the ability to be a conduit for the expression of the greater soul of the universe. It is for this reason I feel such an incredible loss.

Too many of the very best are cut short as if the Salieri's of the world cannot stand to have such a light in the world. What a crying shame.

[Another update] Though I failed to mention it, let it not be forgotten that he leaves a 2 year old daughter without a father. The loss to her is incalculable. I do not believe he would have left her willingly regardless of the breakup with her mother.