Thursday, January 18, 2007

Turning to the Dark Side

I know I once wrote about my observations of Bush Jr. and changes I saw him undergo during that first year of his residency at the White House. Where it is now I haven't a clue. It doesn't seem to have ever made it to the blogosphere but if anyone ever gets a whiff of it anywhere besides this post, please drop me a link.

What brings this up is an article, Bush and the Psychology of Incompetent Decisions, at Truthout.org.

It contains many of my own observations about G.W. Bush. He still retained his basic humanity at the beginning of his first term. I forget which year it was when he gave a speech in the Senate at some formal gathering but it was on C-SPAN and I happened to catch a part of it. When he was finished he received a standing ovation. The look on his face was that he had finally "arrived" and been received as one of their own. Thinking back on it it reminds of the "coming out" of a debutante.

I honestly believe he started out basically good and retained a lot of his basic humanity but his early family life had done a major number on him. What remained of his humanity was turned to the Dark Side in the months after Sept. 11, 2001. And as the corrupt seek and get positions of power, they inevitably change the nature and character of everything they touch. [Note: it is not power that corrupts but rather that the corrupt seek power by any means necessary.]

Unfortunately, what we have now can only be described as a monster with no heart, no humanity, no conscience.