Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Battle of the Sexes

Over at Stayin' Alive, Cervantes blogged about an article mentioning that women now live longer than men. He wasn't too happy at the news but couldn't really say why. I left a comment but found I had more to say about it. Here is it.

I am female. But first, I am a human being, and before that, I am a living being no more and no less miraculous than the myriad other living things on the planet.

When I was about 8 or 9 I came to the conclusion that although boys were bigger, stronger, and faster than me, they were not better, and therefore, we were equal, each with our own strengths and weaknesses. So, when Lt. Saavik in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan was addressed as Mr. Saavik, I yelled "yeah!" I considered this a mark of true equality. Not because I think men are the measure, but because they are most sensitive to the differences and stopped making an issue of it.

Unfortunately, some women decided to take up the issue and "women's lib" was born. But rather than act like the equals they are, they cram their "gender differences" down the throats of men and then wonder why they get no respect. Or worse, make timid sqeaky noises about it in strange places such as the article Cervantes cites.

I recognize that there are indeed some profound differences between men and women. Some of them are immutable but others are not. I think the way out of this identity crisis is to begin understanding these differences and as a result develop some genuine respect for the opposite sex as human beings.