Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Notice: The paradigm has shifted

This blog has been fairly scattered which follows the scatteredness of my thoughts and feelings as I've tried to sort through all that has happened since last year.

This morning I awoke with a sense of clarity. Hearing birds sing on a sunny spring-like day in January in Minnesota was at first a bit like feeling not ready for prime time. But as I woke up, got some coffee in me, and mulled over the events of yesterday, I came to realize that there is nothing more important for me to focus on than Kunstler's coming clusterfuck and its resulting shitstorm that is going to hit America in the next few years.

In conversing about this with my life-pal this morning I have determined we have about 3 years to get ready for it. Anyone with half a brain needs to start organizing, re-building their community, and re-localizing their economy to deal with what is to come.

The way I see it, this year, 2005, will focus attention on cost hikes and income shrinkage and continuing job market losses. The dollar may actually collapse this year but I'm only guessing based on my woman's intuition on this. The war in Iraq will become wholly untenable in terms of lives lost and lives damaged beyond repair as well as the sheer debt it will incur. For me, the cost of the war is not worth any of the oil we could possibly get out of it.

Then, 2006 will begin another election cycle in earnest. Americans' attention deficit disorder created by the media will divert their immediate concerns to the smoke and mirror realm of politics and the lie that everything is just fine and tomorrow will be better.

After the vote in November and the new year ticks over, 2007 will see economic upheaval and increasing social disorder as a result. What trends we'll see is still foggy for me to discern, but I think there will be just enough inertia to keep pretending that the world will continue as we've always known it safely ensconced in our pod in the matrix.

By 2008 even the presidential election won't be able to prop up the illusion that will be so rudely ripped away. No jobs, no money, skyrocketing fuel and energy prices leading to runaway inflation on everything. Food is going to start being a genuine concern as items stop being on the shelf at the grocery store. And THAT is when the shit will hit the fan.

The way I see it, we have only 3 years to get our act together to get a plan worked out and put in place to deal with the popping of the modern industrial widget-making bubble. We will be forced to return to the agrarian, pre-modern old-fashioned quaintness of the nineteenth century.

If there is one good thing about this to look forward to: obesity will cease to be a public health problem.